[tor-talk] New alpha release: Tor 0.4.3.2-alpha
nickm at torproject.org
Tue Feb 11 00:36:14 UTC 2020
There's a new alpha Tor release! Because it's an alpha, you should
only run it if you're ready to find more bugs than usual, and report
them on trac.torproject.org.
The source code is available from the usual place on
https://www.torproject.org/download/tor/ . If you build Tor from
source, why not give it a try? And if you don't build Tor from source,
packages should be ready over the coming days, with a Tor Browser
alpha release likely in the coming week.
Here's what's new:
Changes in version 0.4.3.2-alpha - 2020-02-10
This is the second stable alpha release in the Tor 0.4.3.x series. It
fixes several bugs present in the previous alpha release. Anybody
running the previous alpha should upgrade, and look for bugs in this
o Major bugfixes (onion service client, authorization):
- On a NEWNYM signal, purge entries from the ephemeral client
authorization cache. The permanent ones are kept. Fixes bug 33139;
bugfix on 0.4.3.1-alpha.
o Minor features (best practices tracker):
- Practracker now supports a --regen-overbroad option to regenerate
the exceptions file, but only to revise exceptions to be _less_
tolerant of best-practices violations. Closes ticket 32372.
o Minor features (continuous integration):
- Run Doxygen Makefile target on Travis, so we can learn about
regressions in our internal documentation. Closes ticket 32455.
- Stop allowing failures on the Travis CI stem tests job. It looks
like all the stem hangs we were seeing before are now fixed.
Closes ticket 33075.
o Minor bugfixes (build system):
- Revise configure options that were either missing or incorrect in
the configure summary. Fixes bug 32230; bugfix on 0.4.3.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (controller protocol):
- Fix a memory leak introduced by refactoring of control reply
formatting code. Fixes bug 33039; bugfix on 0.4.3.1-alpha.
- Fix a memory leak in GETINFO responses. Fixes bug 33103; bugfix
- When receiving "ACTIVE" or "DORMANT" signals on the control port,
report them as SIGNAL events. Previously we would log a bug
warning. Fixes bug 33104; bugfix on 0.4.0.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (logging):
- If we encounter a bug when flushing a buffer to a TLS connection,
only log the bug once per invocation of the Tor process.
Previously we would log with every occurrence, which could cause
us to run out of disk space. Fixes bug 33093; bugfix
- When logging a bug, do not say "Future instances of this warning
will be silenced" unless we are actually going to silence them.
Previously we would say this whenever a BUG() check failed in the
code. Fixes bug 33095; bugfix on 0.4.1.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (onion service v2):
- Move a series of v2 onion service warnings to protocol-warning
level because they can all be triggered remotely by a malformed
request. Fixes bug 32706; bugfix on 0.1.1.14-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (onion service v3, client authorization):
- When removing client authorization credentials using the control
port, also remove the associated descriptor, so the onion service
can no longer be contacted. Fixes bug 33148; bugfix
o Minor bugfixes (pluggable transports):
- When receiving a message on standard error from a pluggable
transport, log it at info level, rather than as a warning. Fixes
bug 33005; bugfix on 0.4.0.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (rust, build):
- Fix a syntax warning given by newer versions of Rust that was
creating problems for our continuous integration. Fixes bug 33212;
bugfix on 0.3.5.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (TLS bug handling):
- When encountering a bug in buf_read_from_tls(), return a "MISC"
error code rather than "WANTWRITE". This change might help avoid
some CPU-wasting loops if the bug is ever triggered. Bug reported
by opara. Fixes bug 32673; bugfix on 0.3.0.4-alpha.
o Code simplification and refactoring (mainloop):
- Simplify the ip_address_changed() function by removing redundant
checks. Closes ticket 33091.
o Documentation (manpage):
- Split "Circuit Timeout" options and "Node Selection" options into
their own sections of the tor manpage. Closes tickets 32928 and
32929. Work by Swati Thacker as part of Google Season of Docs.
More information about the tor-talk