[tor-talk] Tor and sources.list

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Wed Feb 5 08:51:18 UTC 2020

On Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 11:14:14PM -0000, mimble9 at danwin1210.me wrote:
> I ran the commands from the Ubuntu section of
> https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en and it updated to
> 0.4.2.6.

Yep. The Tor 0.4.2.6 debs have now arrived in Debian as well as
deb.torproject.org.

I talked to the maintainer and he said they were held up due to a bug
in the arm64 builder (arm as in the cpu architecture, not arm as in the
deprecated tor controller). The packages should be all set now.

> Also, my /etc/torrc file (for tor not for the TBB) says:
>
> ## Configuration file for a typical Tor user
> ## Last updated 9 October 2013 for Tor 0.2.5.2-alpha.
> ## (may or may not work for much older or much newer versions of Tor.)
>
> All entries are ##'d out. Is it outdated? Do I need to do anything?
>
> Thanks again.

It should be fine.

We try to change /etc/tor/torrc as infrequently as possible, because
every time we make even a tiny change, every single person who upgrades
and has modified their torrc file gets presented with a "how do you want
to handle this diff" question, and it's easy to make the wrong choice
and end up confused.

--Roger