[tor-talk] New release candidate: Tor 0.4.3.4-rc

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Apr 13 20:57:22 UTC 2020

Hello!

There's a Tor release candidate! Unless we find significant bugs in
it, the stable release for 0.4.3.4 will probably be about the same as
this one here.

The source code is available from the usual place on
https://www.torproject.org/download/tor/ ; if you build Tor from
source, why not give it a try? And if you don't build Tor from source,
packages should be ready over the coming days, with a Tor Browser
alpha release likely (I believe) later this week.

Here's what's new:

Changes in version 0.4.3.4-rc - 2020-04-13
  Tor 0.4.3.4-rc is the first release candidate in its series. It fixes
  several bugs from earlier versions, including one affecting DoS
  defenses on bridges using pluggable transports.

  o Major bugfixes (DoS defenses, bridges, pluggable transport):
    - Fix a bug that was preventing DoS defenses from running on bridges
      with a pluggable transport. Previously, the DoS subsystem was not
      given the transport name of the client connection, thus failed to
      find the GeoIP cache entry for that client address. Fixes bug
      33491; bugfix on 0.3.3.2-alpha.

  o Minor feature (sendme, flow control):
    - Default to sending SENDME version 1 cells. (Clients are already
      sending these, because of a consensus parameter telling them to do
      so: this change only affects what clients would do if the
      consensus didn't contain a recommendation.) Closes ticket 33623.

  o Minor features (testing):
    - The unit tests now support a "TOR_SKIP_TESTCASES" environment
      variable to specify a list of space-separated test cases that
      should not be executed. We will use this to disable certain tests
      that are failing on Appveyor because of mismatched OpenSSL
      libraries. Part of ticket 33643.

  o Minor bugfixes (--disable-module-relay):
    - Fix an assertion failure when Tor is built without the relay
      module, and then invoked with the "User" option. Fixes bug 33668;
      bugfix on 0.4.3.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (--disable-module-relay,--disable-module-dirauth):
    - Set some output arguments in the relay and dirauth module stubs,
      to guard against future stub argument handling bugs like 33668.
      Fixes bug 33674; bugfix on 0.4.3.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (build system):
    - Correctly output the enabled module in the configure summary.
      Before that, the list shown was just plain wrong. Fixes bug 33646;
      bugfix on 0.4.3.2-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (client, IPv6):
    - Stop forcing all non-SocksPorts to prefer IPv6 exit connections.
      Instead, prefer IPv6 connections by default, but allow users to
      change their configs using the "NoPreferIPv6" port flag. Fixes bug
      33608; bugfix on 0.4.3.1-alpha.
    - Revert PreferIPv6 set by default on the SocksPort because it broke
      the torsocks use case. Tor doesn't have a way for an application
      to request the hostname to be resolved for a specific IP version,
      but torsocks requires that. Up until now, IPv4 was used by default
      so torsocks is expecting that, and can't handle a possible IPv6
      being returned. Fixes bug 33804; bugfix on 0.4.3.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (key portability):
    - When reading PEM-encoded key data, tolerate CRLF line-endings even
      if we are not running on Windows. Previously, non-Windows hosts
      would reject these line-endings in certain positions, making
      certain key files hard to move from one host to another. Fixes bug
      33032; bugfix on 0.3.5.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (logging):
    - Flush stderr, stdout, and file logs during shutdown, if supported
      by the OS. This change helps make sure that any final logs are
      recorded. Fixes bug 33087; bugfix on 0.4.1.6.
    - Stop closing stderr and stdout during shutdown. Closing these file
      descriptors can hide sanitiser logs. Fixes bug 33087; bugfix
      on 0.4.1.6.

  o Minor bugfixes (onion services v3):
    - Relax severity of a log message that can appear naturally when
      decoding onion service descriptors as a relay. Also add some
      diagnostics to debug any future bugs in that area. Fixes bug
      31669; bugfix on 0.3.0.1-alpha.
    - Block a client-side assertion by disallowing the registration of
      an x25519 client auth key that's all zeroes. Fixes bug 33545;
      bugfix on 0.4.3.1-alpha. Based on patch from "cypherpunks".

  o Code simplification and refactoring:
    - Disable our coding standards best practices tracker in our git
      hooks. (0.4.3 branches only.) Closes ticket 33678.

  o Testing:
    - Avoid conflicts between the fake sockets in tor's unit tests, and
      real file descriptors. Resolves issues running unit tests with
      GitHub Actions, where the process that embeds or launches the
      tests has already opened a large number of file descriptors. Fixes
      bug 33782; bugfix on 0.2.8.1-alpha. Found and fixed by
      Putta Khunchalee.

  o Testing (CI):
    - In our Appveyor Windows CI, copy required DLLs to test and app
      directories, before running tor's tests. This ensures that tor.exe
      and test*.exe use the correct version of each DLL. This fix is not
      required, but we hope it will avoid DLL search issues in future.
      Fixes bug 33673; bugfix on 0.3.4.2-alpha.
    - On Appveyor, skip the crypto/openssl_version test, which is
      failing because of a mismatched library installation. Fix
      for 33643.