[tor-talk] Invitation to try experimental Snowflake Tor Browser packages

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Mon Apr 13 07:04:38 UTC 2020

This is a merge candidate for the experimental Snowflake packages that
make Snowflake more reliable by allowing a session to span multiple
temporary proxies. They are based on the current 9.5a11.

https://people.torproject.org/~dcf/pt-bundle/tor-browser-snowflake-turbotunnel-9.5a11-20200410/

To enable Snowflake the first time you run the browser:
 * Click "Configure"
 * Click "Tor is censored in my country"
 * Click "Select a built-in bridge"
 * Select "snowflake" from the menu
If the browser is already running:
 * Go to about:preferences#tor (open the Preferences menu then click Tor
   on the left side)
 * Look at the "Bridges" section
 * Click "Use a bridge"
 * Click "Select a built-in bridge"
 * Select "snowflake" from the menu

These packages are set not to automatically install updates, because an
update would remove the features of the branch we are testing. The
browser will still download updates and ask to install them, so you'll
have to click "Not Now" whenever it asks.

Because this is a merge candidate, logging for snowflake-client is
disabled by default. To enable logging, edit the file
Browser/TorBrowser/Data/Tor/torrc-defaults and add
	-log snowflake-client.log -logToStateDir
to the "ClientTransportPlugin snowflake" line. The log will appear in
	linux:   Browser/TorBrowser/Data/Tor/pt_state/snowflake-client.log
	windows: Browser\TorBrowser\Data\Tor\pt_state\snowflake-client.log
	mac: Tor Browser.app/Contents/Resources/TorBrowser/Tor/pt_state/snowflake-client.log