[tor-talk] Node Selection Parameters [re: YouTube Censored Tor]

Joe joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Fri Nov 8 07:53:05 UTC 2019

On 11/8/19 1:24 AM, grarpamp wrote:
> On 11/7/19, Joe <joebtfsplk at gmx.com> wrote:
>> Often the new exit circuits countries are the same as the one they
>> complained about
>> getting a lot of requests from certain exits
> Well tor tends to focus weight on some exits,
> so NEWNYM circuit not always work to avoid
> "Too Many Requests" type of braindead censoring.
>
> Exit country restriction still subject to weighting
> within that, so might not often help.
>
> Users can search and MAPADDRESS to an exit,
> but they are then parked the service to that one exit.
>
> So tor needs MAPADDRESS function to handle across
> multiple specified exits, in order to maintain tor's
> auto hopping around exits every so often.
>
> Tor doesn't make it easy for users to manage their exits.
> Tor doesn't know best for all.
>
> There are no configurable parameters to make general
> algorithm choices, such as true random, optional recycling,
> subscriptions API, etc as needed.
>
> Pentesters cannot even mapaddress their own CIDR blocks yet.
> And nobody has even made Sybil hunting and or
> whitelist node projects yet.
>
>> lot of requests at a given time
> Anyway, YouTube downloaders exist, and they have options
> to reduce the downloads to useful and exit friendly sizes :)
@grarpamp, as I, you've been using Tor before there was a "bundle."
I'm sure it's a moving target trying to figure out what some sites are
doing wrt Tor.
Google changes its yt coding constantly so "youtube browsers /
downloaders" don't work.

I assume they get most of the content free, then try to serve ads or
grab as much data about users' browsers.
It's nice when a company gets its raw materials or wholesale products
for free.
That way, they have more money left to continually develop tracking
methods & personal data accumulation. :)
Of course now, more & more people are using VPNs; even some non-tech
people I know that really surprised me.

I wonder what the average person signing up for Google acct & giving
their real phone #, just because "they asked for it?"  Unless they're
using burner phones.  I'm fairly certain people have no idea how far or
fast their phone #  can travel & all the personal data that will be tied
to it, when they the phone # to (many) companies like Google.

Like Radio Shack used to ask for your phone # when buying a $1.50 pack
of batteries - may still.  I just give the nosy businesses the same
number (like for warranty purposes) w/ an area code that doesn't exist.
They're as happy as little clams.