[tor-talk] VPNs and Ports

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sat May 25 03:14:58 UTC 2019

>> On May 23, 2019, at 4:39 AM, Wallichii <wallichii at riseup.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 23 May 2019 04:15:36 -0500
>> Conrad Rockenhaus <conrad at rockenhaus.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I’ll be starting a free VPN service soon to allow users that are
>>> blocked from using Tor at their location to access Tor. To prevent
>>> abuse of the service, I plan on restricting the ability of the VPN to
>>> only access 53, 80, 443, 8080, 8443, 9001, and 9030. Are there any
>>> other ports I should consider keeping open for the service?
>>
>> IMO setting up a bridge will help more users because not everyone is
>> going to trust someone on the internet giving free proxy, you should
>> run a bridge if you want to help more users.

That would be an input VPN... perhaps useful if DPI was
breaking user's tor access protocols (to bridges or
regular entry guards), but not their VPN traffic.

Output VPN's could also be useful to allow tor users
to bind their stack to it over tor, thus permitting UDP
back and forth from clearnet... typical with voice video
comms and a bunch of other applications that have
been disabled for tor users becase tor only supports TCP.

Operators would have to publish their VPN node info
somewhere for users to use... or getbridges, getvpns.

There are prior exploratory threads on this here before.

Operators can also be running and supporting VPNGate.net
service as both input and output.