[tor-talk] TOR Browser safety practices

npdflr npdflr at zoho.com
Fri May 24 15:28:37 UTC 2019

I would like to ask for some safe practices to maximize security while using TOR browser.

I understand some of the basics and have gone through the FAQ on pages https://support.torproject.org/#faq and https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en

Here are some questions:

1. Is downloading files safe via TOR Browser?

I got the follownig warning while downloading a PDF file:

"Tor Browser cannot display this file. You will need to open it with another application.

Some types of files can cause applications to connect to the Internet without using Tor.

To be safe, you should only open downloaded files while offline, or use a Tor Live CD such as Tails."

2. Viewing insecure HTTP sites:

Any suggestion which insecure HTTP sites one can visit even if one gets the warning:

"HTTPS
 Everywhere noticed you were navigating to a non-HTTPS page, and tried
to send you to the HTTPS version instead. The HTTPS version is
unavailable. ........."

3. Should one proceed when a website has an error like "invalid certificate error"?

4. I am able to open ftp sites without using TLS (only ftp not ftps)

So, is it advisable to open sites having protocols such as ftp, smtp etc but are not wrapped inside TLS?

Thank you.