[tor-talk] How long does it take for websites to discover new exit nodes?

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Sun May 19 14:55:00 UTC 2019

> On 19/05/2019 00:38, jiggytwiggy at danwin1210.me wrote:
>> As we know, many sites block Tor while others have awful CAPTCHAs.
>>
>> However, new exit nodes are created all the time.
>>
>> Does anyone know how often sites check the public exit node IP list and
>> add them to their databases of exit nodes?

I assume you want to know how fast they _could_ detect new exit IP addresses for
most cases[0] not how frequently they actually update their exit lists since that can only be
answered by the specific site operator.

Exit IP address lists [1] are generated by The Tor Project by sending
traffic through exits and watching the used source IP address(es).

[0] ignoring corner cases that I did not observe in practice yet:
like potential exits rotating their exititing IP address at a rate < 1 hour

That list gets apparently published once an hour.
Maybe Iain or Karsten can add some documentation about how frequent the tests are done
for each exit.

[1] https://metrics.torproject.org/collector.html#type-tordnsel

The way the question was asked suggests that jiggytwiggy at danwin1210.me
is referring to another type of blocking that is not the reaction
to abuse but the blocking of tor exit IPs - even if there is no
malicious activity detected.

--
https://twitter.com/nusenu_
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu