[tor-talk] Disable executable files on a usb from running in, > Linux?

tortalk at couldbe.securecoffee.com tortalk at couldbe.securecoffee.com
Thu May 9 19:35:03 UTC 2019

> Date: Thu, 09 May 2019 03:35:46 -0700
> From: npdflr <npdflr at zoho.com>
>
> While running Windows operating system I have experienced several autorun and other viruses from USB devices and hence now I have moved to Linux.
>
> Is there a way to disable executable files on a usb (any format: vfat, ntfs, ext4 etc) from running in Linux?

Executables on USB block storage devices have not auto-run on Windows for many years and never have on Linux, assuming
you have not changed to an unusual configuration.

There was a time when a U3 Thumbdrive would autorun on Windows by presenting itself as two devices, one of which was a
virtual CD which could invoke the Windows autorun features of a CD. Now, even CDs don't autorun on Windows.

If you are referring to not running even though clicked on and manually OK'd, stop doing that.

The above refers to block storage devices. It's possible to have other usb devices like keyboards that will autotype
when plugged in. Some of these physically look like a thumb drive. Stopping them would be the same as stopping a keyboard.