[tor-talk] Tor Browser disabled NoScript, but can't update

Joe joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Sat May 4 19:58:21 UTC 2019

Thanks to all & for the link.

A slight change this morning.  - that I didn't see last night (Fri
5/3/2019).
Last night I changed the about:config pref,
"xpinstall.signatures.required" to false - before I saw the post on Tor
Project's blog
https://blog.torproject.org/noscript-temporarily-disabled-tor-browser#comment-form.

Last night, the pref change & restarting TBB made no difference in NS
being disabled or in the addons manager message that the unverified
addon was disabled.

This morning - on TBB's 1st start, the addons manager allowed *NS to
load* normally & the message now says: "NoScript could not be verified
for use in Tor Browser.  Proceed with caution."

Guessing Mozilla made a change so when Firefox contacts their addons
server, it doesn't disable addons - just shows a different warning?

The newest "Proceed with Caution" warning will likely confuse or concern
many.
If it's a hard coded message, there may be no alternative. Otherwise,
"better" wording could be used.

Would it be possible when TBB automatically or manually checks for a
newer TBB version, to temporarily show a short explanation & a link to a
Tor Project page for some explanation?

Is HTTPS Everywhere (in TBB) not signed by Mozilla - rather by Tor
Project, thus no warning about it in the addons manager?