[tor-talk] [tor-relays] Anti-Sybil (re: Explain... all the Nodes)

Paul Syverson paul.syverson at nrl.navy.mil
Thu May 2 20:15:03 UTC 2019

On Thu, May 02, 2019 at 04:01:52PM -0400, grarpamp wrote:
> On 5/2/19, Herbert Karl Mathé <mail at hkmathe.de> wrote:
> > I strongly believe certain issues need be brought up into conscious, and
> > into presence: into discussion, actually.
> >
> > Therefore appreciating this as it might fit too well into context
> >
> > Keeping things below surface, or trying so, has too often proven to be a
> > very bad idea as these will come up sooner or later anyway, then with much
> > higher magnitude. Even worse, trust is then destroyed.
>
> As said before, the category of Anti Sybil Web of Trust Projects
> needs considered, and could even cover such speculative subjects.
>
> It's not about analysing the meta of one node or one operator,
> even if a true positive hit, in general the yield is approximately
> zero percent of any overlay network's nodes, it's about stepping
> back and agnostically analysing them all.
>
> Go investigate and collate all the possible meta informations...
>
> Node location, payment, OS, ISP, uptimes, anon / nym / PGP / GovID,
> workplace, politic, blogs, whatever else you can imagine,
> including incorporating what's already in the consensus, contact,
> MyFamily, nickname, both real world and virtual infos,
> operator to operator p2p Web of Trust...

Note that we created a research system for gathering such data,
reasoning about the trust implications, and applying it to routing
decisions. we wrote a paper on it that we presented at PETS 2015.
"20,000 In League Under the Sea: Anonymous Communication, Trust,
MLATs,and Undersea Cables"
https://www.petsymposium.org/2015/papers/04_Jaggard.pdf

I don't know that anyone has done much with this since, but I hope
that's helpful information.

aloha,
Paul