[tor-talk] tor project website change

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 16:46:06 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 04:01:04PM +0100, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Who changed the web content at https://www.torproject.org/download/ ?
> Previously I could relatively easily check for the latest tor version
> but now I get only a number of tor browser options in a page that is way
> too big for what it offers. (and I use a 4K screen)
> Why was this done? What purpose does it serve for tor? (not the browser)
> And where is one supposed to find the tor download page from that (now)
> tor browser page?

Hi Udo,

The website design started at least 6 years ago, if not longer. Multiple
people worked on it and made it possible. The new website provides a
more welcoming interface, in particular for new users. Now the page is
concise and provides links for exactly the version a user likely needs.
If the user needs/wants another version (in another language or if they
want the Alpha version), then they are contained on a subsequent page.
People don't want too many options, they simply want the correct/best
option. This new design provides this for them.

If you have specific suggestions for improving this new design, then
please let us know. It seems you would like easier access to the tor
download page, I also don't see this. This is be a good improvement,
thanks for letting us know.

- Matt