[tor-talk] Is there a way to use internet in a sandbox environment? (Linux)

Ben Tasker ben at bentasker.co.uk
Tue Mar 26 23:21:52 UTC 2019

Nothing is 100% safe, but by instituting isolation you'll have raised the
bar.

For "something" to escape your internet VM would require some kind of
hypervisor exploit. Technically there is the potential for rowhammer style
attacks from within that VM, but for the forseeable future that'd likely
mean a pretty targeted attack.

Basically it all depends on your threat model. Some prefer to boot tails
from read only media on a system with no disks, others don't need that
level so are willing to sacrifice a little security in the name of
convenience.

There's a lot more to opsec than just the browser you're running too.

That said, you specifically mentioned concerns about malware, so a simple
VM could well be enough for you (or even a multi-vm setup like Qubes to
reduce the risk of data leaks). You could also have a disconnected VM for
"offline" stuff, but it'd probably be overkill for most people.