[tor-talk] Surge in Users

iwanlegit at cock.li iwanlegit at cock.li
Fri Jun 7 13:01:38 UTC 2019

Can Directory Authorities analyze hostnames of relay users and publish
them?

If the hostnames or organization names associated with the users are
available, we could know what type of users are increasing, and probably
we could guess why. In Iran and Russia, are the increases being made by
individuals, companies, and/or governments? I want to know that.

https://metrics.torproject.org/reproducible-metrics.html#relay-users
Directory Authorities (DAs) can see IP addresses of relay users and are
reporting countries associated with the addresses for torproject. So DAs
may be under control of torproject. Can torproject let DAs report
hostnames of the users? Should rapid increases of the users be clear for
Tor overall? I would like torproject to decide to do that!

But if torproject can let DAs report them, I won't be able to use Tor
with security. Even now, can DAs collect our personal information
including IP addresses and leak them in theory? :D