[tor-talk] How long does it take for websites to discover new exit nodes?

Öyvind Saether oyvinds at everdot.org
Tue Jun 4 10:13:02 UTC 2019

> On 19/05/2019 00:38, jiggytwiggy at danwin1210.me wrote:
> It is likely true that many sites that block Tor do so due to the
> detection of a single abuse event. When you have ~2 million

"A single abuse event" isn't it. At all. I've been running Tor nodes
for decades and I support it for various reasons but I also run quite a
few websites and I totally and fully understand Why someone would just
want to not deal with the Constant Bombardment of Abuse that is coming
from the Tor network.

It's not some guy using Tor posing some abusive comment that's causing
website owners to just block tor; it's a Constant Stream of Bots doing
POST requests & looking for exploits. It's not something you see once
or twice every now and then, it's 20+ requests per hour for things like
wp-login.php, wp-comments.php, manager/FCKeditor/fckconfig.js,
utility/convert/data/config.inc.php, /db.sql, /backupsite.sql and a
whole lot of other files used that don't exist which may be used by some
exploitable CMS system. A lot of the abusive bots coming from Tor are
just stupid, they don't care if you're using WordPress or not, they
will just constantly send POST requests anyway.

This is obviously not just a Tor exit node problem. And it's possible
to deal with it in better ways than using a Tor exit node blacklist.

However, I do understand why someone would just say "I'll just ban that
Tor thing, from my perspective it's one big abusive botnet" - that's
essentially what it is from a pure web hosting providers perspective.
That's probably what I'd do if I weren't familiar with Tor.