[tor-talk] Is tor server now to heavy for a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B ?

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Jan 16 13:01:55 UTC 2019

I've been running a US exit node for years now and got kinda smug about
my uptime  figures. It's nice to have the stable flag, heh.

However for the past 6 months or so I've been getting an embarrassing
amount of 'node down' alerts from the weather service

It's always an OOM error for tor.  95% of the time I can ssh into the
box and reboot it and all is well but there have been 4 cases in the
last month where the box was so unresponsive I had to pull the power
plug.  That is a hassle when I'm traveling and makes my uptime numbers
even worse.

Right now I have a script that reboots the Pi in /etc/cron.daily that
seems (so far) to be keeping the system online but I'm starting to think
that my little Pi is now too underpowered for what it needs to do.
Thinking of getting a new Pi or possibly a beefier option like a Nuc or
something.

Specs:

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Rev 1.1
ARMv7 Processor rev 5 (v7l)
923mb RAM / 1gb swap

For tor releases I usually switch between the current GA release and one
of the prerelease alphas.

Is this box too anemic for modern Tor serving as an exit node? Thanks!

Chris