[tor-talk] Onion v3 Services in 2019

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Jan 1 22:59:38 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jan 01, 2019 at 09:15:15PM +0100, Nathaniel Suchy wrote:
> At some point in 2019 will TorProject.org get an Onion v3 Address.

I believe we, like debian and others, are waiting for onionbalance
support in the v3 design.

It turns out to be quite hard to change the v3 design to support the
original onionbalance approach. That's because the v3 design added
cross-certification between the overall onion descriptor and each
individual intro point component in the descriptor, so you can't just
take the individual intro points components and put them together into
your own custom frankendescriptor.

The ticket is here:
https://trac.torproject.org/26768
And I don't think anybody is working on it currently. :(

> Additionally at some point will Onion v3 Addresses become the default rather than v2?

It already happened, starting in 0.3.5.x (which will be the next
long-term-stable).

See this changelog entry from 0.3.5.1-alpha:

  o Major features (onion services, UI change):
    - For a newly created onion service, the default version is now 3.
      Tor still supports existing version 2 services, but the operator
      now needs to set "HiddenServiceVersion 2" in order to create a new
      version 2 service. For existing services, Tor now learns the
      version by reading the key file. Closes ticket 27215.

--Roger