[tor-talk] v3 Onion Services that host Mixmaster SMTP Nodes

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 04:18:24 UTC 2019

On 2/3/19, procmem <procmem at riseup.net> wrote:
> Does anyone know of Mixmaster remailers that are hosted on v3 onions?

Search for and survey known remailers.
Maybe some will offer it as result.

> The ones we currently have listed in Whonix are:

> k54ids7luh523dbi.onion

down

> gbhpq7eihle4btsn.onion

up, and exists on clearnet

> v2 will be EOL at some point soon.

The mixmaster nodes that multihome with clearnet all
exist publicly, thus they have no explicit need for v3
anti hsdir trolling feature, or much else of v3, especially
since you're supposd to PGP and crypto over any
clearnet native protocols, such as email, anyways.

Onion for mixmaster, regardless of v2 or v3, is useful
simply for... the direct tor tunnel to server, and since many
exits do not support email ports, and or the clearnet path
is subject to smtp censorship.

There are *many* p2p v2 and v3 onion mail systems.

v2 onions will not be going away or EOL anytime soon.
In part due to needed features and capabilities of v2
not being present in v3 or vN (some of which have
recently again been noted on this list), and other tradeoffs
acceptable to the knowledgeable user, including unwieldy
string length of onion, etc. v3 is good and welcome
improvement for those who need it. Yet it's really and properly
ultimately up to the third party users and service operators as
to which onion versions they elect to use, not Torproject Inc, et al.

> None of these have public pages that can inform users of upcoming
> changes or developments.

They don't have to. Unless you're a statist control freak
who just has to know the human identity # behind every IP
and service on the net.