[tor-talk] Nice to meet you! / WhatsApp by Tor?

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Tue Apr 16 21:26:11 UTC 2019

On 04/16/2019 12:39 PM, GTI .H wrote:
> Em ter, 16 de abr de 2019 às 13:36, Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> escreveu:
>
>> On 04/16/2019 08:48 AM, GTI .H wrote:
>>> Please, how can I use Tor to hide the origin IP in WhatsApp Android?
>>
>> Your safest option, if you must use WhatsApp, is to use it in an Android
>> VM, running on a small tablet, ...
>

> To avoid buying a Tablet, would it be possible to use this method with an
> Android VM running on the W10?

I know nothing about Windows mobile devices. If it will run VirtualBox,
and the Android VM can reach the Internet, sure. That way, you can run a
VPN client on the W10, and connect the Android VM through it. Or via
Tor, if that works.

>> which uses WiFi for connectivity. You can
>> lease real mobile SIMs from sites like https://speedyverify.com/ and do
>> it ~anonymously using well-mixed Bitcoin.
>>

>   and this site https://www.receive-sms-online.info/ is free, is not it the
> same thing?

Sites like that provide shared virtual mobile numbers. Some services
won't accept them. Also, phone numbers for WhatsApp accounts are really
the account IDs. So you need something that's ~permanent. Using that
site I linked, you actually buy SIMs. They just plug them into their
system, when you need to use them. As far as I know, they don't charge
"rent" for SIMs. You just buy "five uses" (or whatever) packages.

>> I don't know whether WhatsApp absolutely requires UDP.
>

> Me neither, I saw this in a forum that talks about the ports used by
> WhatsApp.
>

>> If it does, then
>> using Tor would be difficult. You'd probably need to route a TCP-based
>> VPN service through it. Or instead, you could just use a VPN service, or
>> better, a nested VPN chain. I could offer more information if you like.
>>

> Of course I want any information that can solve this problem, 10 years ago
> I look for a solution and I thought that now with the new technologies this
> could be possible.

Find out whether WhatsApp really needs UDP. If it does, you can email me
off-list, and we can discuss options.