[tor-talk] Nice to meet you! / WhatsApp by Tor?

Cyaniventer cyaniventer at riseup.net
Tue Apr 16 16:33:20 UTC 2019

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 12:22:53 -0400
"GTI .H" <gti9070h at gmail.com> wrote:

> Em ter, 16 de abr de 2019 às 12:13, Cyaniventer
> <cyaniventer at riseup.net> escreveu:
> > Anyways, imo you should just use orbot (probably dead) or something
> > like that and route all your traffic using orbot vpn (it sets up a
> > tunnel if you want to route other apps)
>
> Is it enough to hide the IP from the source ???

No! Don't use it if you are actually very serious about this.

> > or whatever you want and set that vpn to
> > `always on`. Idk what else you can do, also your first method of
> > routing your traffic through your computer is not that good.
> >
> Why?

because what if something fails somewhere and your ip gets leaked? are
you really sure that everything you've setup will work without fail?
Also see nathan at freitas.net 's email, > Since WhatsApp is executable
code on your Android phone, it can access information about your device
directly. This includes accessing your "real" IP address through local
network information APIs.

> > If you are real serious about this thing then just setup a virtual
> > machine and route all traffic from that vm through Tor. This is the
> > best method that comes to my mind.
> >
> Could you give me more details?

The idea is you'll setup a virtual machine and route all traffic from
that vm through Tor. First search result is ->
https://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-set-up-a-tor-middlebox-routing-all-virtualbox-virtual-machine-traffic-over-the-tor-network

Note: I don't know how they did it and didn't read that article.

--
Cyaniventer
BBBB 882A 5A00 FCB6 8704 E9BC 757D E342 DB4E 576C