[tor-talk] Nice to meet you! / WhatsApp by Tor?

Cyaniventer cyaniventer at riseup.net
Tue Apr 16 16:13:15 UTC 2019

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 11:48:01 -0400
"GTI .H" <gti9070h at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone, this is my first post here!
>
> Excuse me if this is not the right place to ask this, I also think
> this may have been asked a lot, if that's the case, please direct me.
>
> I want to use Tor to hide the origin IP in WhatsApp. I already have a
> method, but I do not know if it is effective:
>
> * With the Tor Browser open, I configured with Tor Browser data the
> Proxy socket on my OS W10 that accesses the Internet over Ethernet,
> * I connected my Android Smartphone to my W10 WiFi.
> * I also have the OrBot on Android, but I do not know if it is
> effective to hide my IP to the destination.
>
> It works?
> I see in my W10 Chrome that my IP has changed, but I'm not sure my IP
> will not leak, for example through the UDP protocol.
>
> Please, how can I use Tor to hide the origin IP in WhatsApp Android?

What is the point of doing all this? Do you really wish to do this? You
are going to give them your phone number and I really don't see
any point of trying to hide your ip from them.

Anyways, imo you should just use orbot (probably dead) or something like
that and route all your traffic using orbot vpn (it sets up a tunnel if
you want to route other apps) or whatever you want and set that vpn to
`always on`. Idk what else you can do, also your first method of routing
your traffic through your computer is not that good.

If you are real serious about this thing then just setup a virtual
machine and route all traffic from that vm through Tor. This is the
best method that comes to my mind.

--
Cyaniventer
BBBB 882A 5A00 FCB6 8704 E9BC 757D E342 DB4E 576C