[tor-talk] Is there a way to use internet in a sandbox environment? (Linux)

npdflr npdflr at zoho.com
Fri Apr 5 06:28:48 UTC 2019

Thank you for the information.

If I am running a live CD/DVD and I want to download and save a small text file from the internet and then transfer that text file to the offline hard disk, then do I need a persistence storage like USB for such a small purpose?

Also, can I write some data to the CD/DVD which I can then send as an email or upload somewhere via internet?

Basically, I am asking is whether a live CD/DVD (without persistent storage) can be used only for surfing the internet or also for facilitating data transfer between the offline hard disk and the internet.

>> A DVD-RW can't read/write to the attached Hard Disk on its own, am I right?

> It can just as easily as the same ISO running off the USB could. If you

> need that level of security, then you're going to want to remove the

> harddrive from the system.

Or just unplug the data and power cables.

​

-------> I am 99% sure but still confirming: A CD/DVD cannot write data to itself (not the Hard Disk) without user permission in any case, am I right?

---- On Thu, 04 Apr 2019 12:23:48 -0700 Mirimir <mailto:mirimir at riseup.net> wrote ----

On 04/03/2019 05:40 PM, Jim wrote:

> Mirimir wrote:

>> On 04/03/2019 08:03 AM, Ben Tasker wrote:

>>> When the system boots from the disk, it loads the OS into memory, so

>>> things

>>> like your browser cache files are written into memory (and so lost

>>> when the

>>> DIMMs lose charge).  If you want persistence then most live CDs will

>>> allow

>>> you to provide a writeable media (normally a USB drive) for that

>>> purpose,

>>> but then you get back into the risks associated with having writeable

>>> media

>>> available.

> As I stated in an earlier email I am out of date on this but in the "old

> days" this was certainly not true.  In the original Knoppix (which is

> the grandfather of all live systems TMK) if you had the memory there was

> a mode where you could load the image into memory, but this was not

> necessary.  If you did load the image into memory things ran a lot

> faster.  But the only files that *had to* reside in memory were those

> that were writable.  Over the years there have been at least two

> different methods allowing writable files that reside in memory to

> dynamically and transparently be used in place of the read-only files on

> the original image.

> I have certainly run live CDs on computers that had much less RAM than

> the size of the CD.

I don't recall ever trying that with "normal" LiveCDs. And even "normal"

LiveDVDs are rarely much over 1GB. But I was talking about a custom

LiveDVD that I built. Which had a Debian system plus VirtualBox and

another ~3GB of virtual machine data. I do recall trying to boot that in

a machine with 4GB RAM, with no joy. Maybe I wasn't patient enough. And

it did take some minutes to come up in the 8GB machine.

Wild guess: maybe you need to design LiveCDs so they'll boot quickly in

low-RAM systems.