[tor-talk] Push-To-Talk over Tor (was: Tor VoIP PBX Architecture Discussion)

Iain Learmonth irl at torproject.org
Tue Oct 23 12:29:21 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 23/10/18 06:55, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> Reminds me of the early days in Guardian Project's voice support in Orbot,
> where they essentially built a "push to talk" feature that encoded your
> thing as an mp3 and sent it across the Tor network and played it on the
> other end. I hear that, once you figured out how to use it, it was
> remarkably usable.

Someone recently showed me an app where you could record short videos
and send them in a push-to-talk style, for either near-synchronous or
asynchronous communication. They used it to send messages to their young
children while traveling. The first thing I thought when I saw this was
that this would be a perfect candidate for Onion services.

Thanks,
Iain.