[tor-talk] public Freenet webGUI cluster over tor with OnionCat

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 19:23:02 UTC 2018

From: damiengray at tutanota.com

Ever wonder what's on Freenet? If you're curious, there's a public
FProxy webGUI at:
http://gel2bzjxrvcmqpji.onion:8888/
It's part of a darknet on the Tor OnionCat IPv6 overlay network. The
other 20 peers are listed here:
http://zerobinqmdqd236y.onion/?ceffbd4a36f954e0#UTW52y4tvML8B0Wwu9i3Wl2BhbGruntf6k1f0kScz+Y=
It runs in a Debain 8.11 Docker container, which is hosted in a Debain
9.6.0 KVM domain, and that in turn is hosted on a Ubuntu 18.10 KVM
VPS. Iptables rules at VPS and KVM domain levels block all Internet
access except through Tor and OnionCat.I'll check it periodically. If
someone has broken it, I'll restart the Docker container. If someone
has managed to break the KVM domain, I'll restore that from backup.
And if someone has gone the extra mile to break the VPS, I'll restore
that from backup.
This may seem bizarre to privacy lovers. I mean, I could be logging
everything! But the point is providing easy-to-use access to Freenet
that's secured from third parties. If you decide that it's worth the
hassle, I recommend running your own node, connecting through OnionCat
IPv6 peers. Or through I2P GarlicCat peers, if you like.
While I could be logging everything, that's arguably more-or-less
irrelevant, because Tor renders you and the node mutually anonymous.
Not perfectly anonymous, true. But there's arguably little risk,
unless you and/or the node have been targeted. Just be prudent.
Especially be prudent about downloading files from the node. I
recommend using Whonix, on a machine with full-disk encryption. Or
Tails, with encrypted USB storage.