[tor-talk] HTTP/3 on UDP and no TCP

neel at neelc.org neel at neelc.org
Tue Nov 13 17:13:06 UTC 2018

For this, we will require Tor to support UDP, or at least be QUIC-aware. Hopefully TCP-based HTTP will be supported for a few more years, but we can't expect the web to support TCP indefinitely (look at SSLv3, no website supports it anymore).

To support UDP or QUIC, some architectural changes to Tor may be needed: https://www.reddit.com/r/TOR/comments/7oizra/why_tor_doesnt_support_udp/dsa8gix

It will certainly be a large undertaking, but probably is necessary (unless we want to lock Tor users from the web of 5 years in the future). Maybe we may need a new anonymity network for QUIC. Who knows?

Disclaimer: I am a Core Tor contributor. I am no expert on QUIC or HTTP.

-Neel Chauhan

===

https://www.neelc.org

We could also use a QUIC