[tor-talk] Better bridge management for clients

Jim jimmymac at copper.net
Fri May 25 06:36:18 UTC 2018

Nathaniel Suchy wrote:
> I think Tor Browser would need to create a statistics database for the
> bridges you provide it with and run tests over time and choose the
> bridges which have been historically the most reliable.

You might be able to create something useful to the user much more
simply just from keeping track of normal operation (w/o running extra
tests).  Perhaps after a bridge the software tried to use could not be
reached a certain number of times over a certain number of days the user
could be prompted with something like: "We were unable to contact such
and such bridge the last 7 attempts over the last 3 days.  Would you
like to remove it from it from your list of bridges?"

This would reduce the complexity of both the software required and the
information provided to a user who otherwise might feel overwhelmed with
statistical data.  Plus the software wouldn't take any action w/o the
user's knowledge and consent.  (If the user declines when first
notified, the software could stop prompting him (so as not be annoying)
but maintain a menu option where the user could see updated statistics
(bridge unreachable n times in last m days) and where he could still
delete the bridge from the list if he so chose.)

Jim