[tor-talk] Bug in the initial release of Tor Browser 7.5.4

Nicolas Vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Mon May 14 15:18:19 UTC 2018

On Thu, 10 May 2018, Nathaniel Suchy (Lunorian) wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Yesterday, I noticed, and pointed out on Twitter (See:
> https://twitter.com/nathanielrsuchy/status/994284995765243904) that
> after updating the browser page still said Tor Browser was out of date.
> Shortly there after the Tor Project released a new build fixing the
> issue. If you updated before the new build you will need to uninstall
> and reinstall Tor Browser to fix the issue. Was anyone else here
> affected by this bug?

Tor Browser is checking this file to see if it is out of date:
https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser/RecommendedTBBVersions

The issue with the 7.5.4 release was that the RecommendedTBBVersions
file was updated to add the new version a few minutes after the release
was published (instead of before), so if you updated in that interval,
your browser would say that it is out of date after being updated.
The issue has been fixed by updating the RecommendedTBBVersions file.
Uninstall and reinstall of the browser was not needed.