[tor-talk] Amazon threatens to suspend Signal's AWS account over censorship circumvention - Meek?

Jonathan Marquardt mail at parckwart.de
Wed May 2 23:57:32 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 02, 2018 at 02:44:40PM +0200, Marco Gruß wrote:
> according to https://signal.org/blog/looking-back-on-the-front/,
> Amazon has explicitly denied usage of one of their domains for
> "domain fronting".
>
> As far as I understand it, establishing a TLS connection to
> host A, but sending a Host: header for host B (the endpoint
> that is supposed to be protected by the domain fronting)
> is exactly the mechanism the meek transports use.
> Is meek still active? Is this a problem?

meek is still active and works very well so far. And yes, it uses the exact
same technique as Signal. If Amazon shuts the meek-amazon bridge down, I
guess, there's not much that can be done. This has happened before with
meek-google. There used to be a meek bridge in the Google AppEngine CDN as
well and it got shut down by Google for the exact same reason: They didn't
want their CDN to be used in such a way and said that it voilated their terms
of service.

See: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2016-June/041057.html
--
OpenPGP Key: 47BC7DE83D462E8BED18AA861224DBD299A4F5F3
             https://www.parckwart.de/pgp_key