[tor-talk] Cannot access tor onion sites via FF

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Jul 8 23:38:17 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jul 08, 2018 at 06:35:40PM -0400, David Niklas wrote:
> 2. Where is the source code?

Building Tor Browser is ugly because of another critical feature that
it provides: reproducible, aka deterministic, builds. You can read more
about that feature here:
https://reproducible-builds.org/
and then if you want to build it yourself (it won't be easy), start at
https://gitweb.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-build.git/tree/README

But in terms of just the source code changes (from the various Firefox
releases), check out
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-browser.git/
e.g.
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-browser.git/log/?h=tor-browser-60.1.0esr-8.0-1

> 3. Noscript is a poor man's privacy protector. I use scriptsafe. It has
> many JS fingerprinting protections. And yes, many sites do require JS. I
> block as much as possible by default.

One of the goals of Tor Browser is that Tor Browser users should blend
together as much as possible. So if you run javascript here and here
and here but not there and there and there, then this unique set of
configuration choices acts like a cookie for recognizing you. That's
why there's a security slider, to disable functionality in chunks so
that we don't splinter the anonymity sets too much.

--Roger