[tor-talk] Tor Browser Security Settings warning

Joe joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Thu Jul 5 01:35:59 UTC 2018

On 04/08/2018 05:12 PM, Joe wrote:
> On 04/05/2018 11:34 PM, Joe wrote:
>> On 04/05/2018 06:19 AM, Georg Koppen wrote:
>>>
>>> A safe thing to do would be downloading a clean, new Tor Browser from
>>> our website and start over again (mabye exporting the bookmarks from the
>>> currently used Tor Browser and importing them in the newly downloaded one).
>>>
>>> Georg
Georg (or anyone),
     I D/L TBB 7.5.6 Linux & verified w/ GPG.
Installed to new directory as you suggested.
After the clean install, Torbutton Security didn't show a msg about
"unusual security settings."

As most know, TBB ships w/ NoScript set to allow all scripts globally
(which NoScript warns as "Dangerous").
I changed NS to deny scripts globally, as many experienced users do (in
TBB and other browsers).

Like many, I don't allow NS to "cascade top document's permissions to
3rd party scripts," under Advanced > Trusted.  [for newer users, "top
document's permissions" (the target web page's permissions) means what
ever scripts or permissions you allowed for your target site, any & all
3rd parties the have the same permissions].  Which could be very
dangerous if a site is hacked with malicious scripts & NoScript says,
"Come on in!"

Under NoScript Advanced > HTTPS, I UNcheck, "Allow HTTPS scripts
globally on HTTPS documents," because there's generally no reason to
allow *ALL* 3rd party trackers' or hackers' HTTPS scripts, but plenty of
reasons not to.

Now Torbutton > Security Settings shows the "unusual security settings"
message, "for security and privacy reasons," as if these settings are
more dangerous than the defaults.

When I click Torbutton's Restore Default Settings, the only thing I find
it resets is NoScript to allow scripts globally, under the whitelist
tab.  AFAIK, it doesn't change any (other) NoScript settings, or
about:config prefs & nothing under TBB Preferences > Privacy.

It appears that Torbutton thinks allowing scripts globally is a safer
way to go.