[tor-talk] Tor check not working or recognize TBB?

Joe joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Tue Jul 3 02:02:26 UTC 2018

Thanks Tortilla.
I don't see how your reply answers the question - maybe it wasn't
intended to.
It appears if the general.useragent.override string isn't the same as
what ever / where ever check.torproject.org stores as a valid
useragent.override value, it reports that you're not using TBB at all,
which is not true.

Torproject of course wants everyone to report the same
general.useragent.override sting - that's fine.
To report that it doesn't look like TorBrowser (at all) is misleading to
users and not helpful.
Since they must be able to see the useragent string, they probably
should report something about the useragent being wrong or not set to
default settings.

Downloading & extracting the same version to the same path isn't going
to fix the problem of the useragent string being accidentally changed.
AFAIK, it won't over write your prefs, unless you extract it to a
different path.
There's nothing helpful in the message, "It does not appear to be Tor
Browser."

If it's smart enough to throw an error for a non-default useragent
string, it should be able to tell you why it thinks you're not using ANY
TBB version and give a clue about what to do, instead of the current
message that doesn't help at all.