[tor-talk] TBB-alpha doesn't update

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Thu Jan 25 11:40:00 UTC 2018

Andreas Krey:
> Hi all,
>
> I have (since last week) two installations of the alpha browsers, both on
> win7. The update of yesterday failed for both of them, first saying that
> the incremental update could not be applied, then the full update couldn't
> be either ('The Update could not be installed (patch apply failed)').
>
> Nonstandard thing: I changed extensions.torlauncher.control_port and
> network.proxy.socks_port to be able to run the alpha in parallel with
> the standard TBB.

Could you enable update logging (with `app.update.log` set to `true`)
and check the the browser console whether there is any error visible? If
so, what is it complaining about?

> Aside: I would like a distinction between alpha and stable TBB that
> is a bit more obious and mnemonic than the location of the noscript button
> (to the left in alpha, to the right in stable).

Ha. They should be both left side (that the one is on the right one is a
Noscript bug). But, seriously, we could think about doing that. Do you
mind filing a bug in ou bug tracker?

Georg