[tor-talk] onioncircuits

intrigeri intrigeri at boum.org
Sat Jan 13 13:36:59 UTC 2018

tor user:
>> There's Onion Circuits that we ship in Tails and Debian:
>> https://git-tails.immerda.ch/onioncircuits/
>> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/onioncircuits

> Oh great thanks for the pointers.
> I tried it shortly and realized another vidalia
> feature I used: bandwidth graphs

Onion Circuits was developed primarily with Tails in mind,
and since Tails routes all Internet traffic through Tor,
the network bandwidth graph provided by GNOME System Monitor
was deemed sufficient.

Now, I guess we would not reject a a good UX/GUI design + branch that
adds bandwidth graphs.

> How does one configure/specify non-defaults for onioncircuits?
> - the target IP address
> - ControlPort
> - unix socket file
> - ControlPort password?

I'm afraid the best doc we have for this is the source code:

        connect_args = dict()
        if 'TOR_CONTROL_SOCKET' in os.environ:
            connect_args['control_socket'] = os.environ.get('TOR_CONTROL_SOCKET')
        if 'TOR_CONTROL_ADDRESS' in os.environ or \
           'TOR_CONTROL_PORT' in os.environ:
            connect_args['control_port'] = (
                os.environ.get('TOR_CONTROL_ADDRESS', '127.0.0.1'),
                int(os.environ.get('TOR_CONTROL_PORT', 9051))
            )
        self.controller = stem.connection.connect(**connect_args)

Cheers,
--
intrigeri