[tor-talk] Looking for a tool to replace vidalia?

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 19:51:36 UTC 2018

>> Do you know of any tool that:
>> - displays tor circuits and the streams attached to it?

>> It is not required to display them on a map, but it should display the 3 nicknames with
>> country information and the streams attached to it by their destination and port (hostname).

Users who want to see all traffic that is being sent through
tor in real time via a simple "telnet" and single command
to their controller should look at and support this work...

# Combine setevents circ and stream

This does not require users to add unknown third party
tools to their system and figure out how to use them,
does not require a GUI or libraries, does not requre
development by browser teams, can be used to feed accurately
combined data to external tools, and it just works by default
on every platform that Tor itself runs on.

I'd consider adding an option to display country code to
the spec, since looking it up after the fact requires more
tools and historical data sources.
And option to fix BEGIN cell DNS A/PTR lookup semantic.
Feel free to add those the ticket, even as reminder.

> Nyx displays circuits but not the streams attached to them, right?

> There's Onion Circuits that we ship in Tails and Debian:
> https://git-tails.immerda.ch/onioncircuits/
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/onioncircuits

>> - allows me to kill specific circuits

> That's not supported by Onion Circuits.

Nor would killing become part of the above "display-only" ticket.
Use other tor controller functions or third party tools for that,
or manage / kill the application itself.