[tor-talk] Launching new tabs in existing TBB from the shell

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 20:17:33 UTC 2018

On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 09:29:15PM +0200, Lars Noodén wrote:
> On 02/17/2018 07:52 PM, Rusty Bird wrote:
> > Lars Nood�n:
> >> I've looked around a bit and wonder how to launch new tabs from the
> >> shell into a running TBB instance.
> >
> > $ ./Browser/start-tor-browser --allow-remote  # for the master process
> > $ ./Browser/start-tor-browser --allow-remote --new-tab example.com
> >
> >> Also which documentation should I check for this info?
> >
> > $ ./Browser/start-tor-browser --help
> >
> > Rusty
> >
> Thanks, I've tried those before.  When launching with --new-tab:
>
> $ ./Browser/start-tor-browser --allow-remote --new-tab  example.com
>
> It complains with the following popup dialog and does not open any new tabs:
>
> 	"Tor Browser is already running, but is not responding.
> 	To open a new window, you must first close the existing
> 	Tor Browser process, or restart your system."
>
> The --allow-remote --new-tab method works fine with unmodified Firefox,
> just not with TBB.

That's surprising. I just tested it with a fresh Tor Browser
installation on 64-bit Linux and it worked without an error. A couple

questions:
  - What version of Tor Browser are you using?
    - Press the Alt key, then select the Help menu at the top, then click About Tor Browser
  - Did you already try restarting your computer and trying again?

- Matt