[tor-talk] AORTA - others tried it?

MacLemon tor at maclemon.at
Sat Feb 10 16:29:04 UTC 2018

> On 10 Feb 2018, at 10:15, Rob van der Hoeven <robvanderhoeven at ziggo.nl> wrote:
>
> On my Debian system, programs like Firefox and Chromium do not work
>>
>> Well, I'm not sure what is cause this:
>>
>> $ aorta -c -t telnet abcd1234abcd1234.onion 80
> First the address. abcd1234abcd1234.onion cannot be a *real* onion
> address because onion addresses are supposed to be unreadable :-)
This cannot be a real onion address because it contains the character "1" which is impossible for real onions. "1" is specifically not a character used by Base32 encoding used by onion addresses.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base32#RFC_4648_Base32_alphabet

Since the domain name is obviously incorrect for the .onion TLD it's questionable if a tool should even try to connect to it. Likewise you'd refuse any .onion domain that isn't of exactly 16 (v2 onion) or 54 characters (v3 onion) in length.
Maybe some systems that usually resolve hostnames through tor, fall back to a local or another resolver when they receive an NX as a fallback.

Best regards
MacLemon