[tor-talk] Moving stuff between Tor Browsers

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 17:31:11 UTC 2018

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 04:24:30PM +0100, Robin Lee wrote:
> Hi list
>
> I'm wondering what is the proper way to move all the
> settings/bookmarks/saved passwords from one instance of Tor Browser to
> an other? It doesn't matter if information gets overwritten on the
> receiving end. Same version 8.0.4 and same OS (Linux) on both.

There isn't a specific way of doing this built into the browser. You can
backup and restore the entire profile (which is what Mozilla suggest)
[0]. In this case, you'll want the profile at
tor-browser_en-US/Browser/TorBrowser/Data/Browser/profile.default/

Bookmarks can be exported using the built-in backup/restore process[1].

Tor Browser doesn't provide any additional feature for this. It's simply
a more private and secure version of Firefox.

[0]
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/back-and-restore-information-firefox-profiles#w_backing-up-your-profile
[1]
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/restore-bookmarks-from-backup-or-move-them