[tor-talk] Exit nodes can redirect requests?

onionsmasher at tutanota.com onionsmasher at tutanota.com
Thu Aug 9 18:14:03 UTC 2018

So I was browsing some old clearnet forum posts using Tails and Tor browser. Some posts had embedded images from a Tor hidden site via onion.casa gateway. That gateway site seems to be inactive nowadays.
I refreshed the page a few times, and sometimes Tor browser was attempting to load something from the same site but using tor2web.xyz gateway instead.
I checked page source and didn't spot any references to tor2web.xyz.
So what happened? Can exit nodes redirect requests like this? I mean, if original request was to site.onion.casa/foo but it was redirected to site.tor2web.xyz/foo?
This was rather strange and I don't really understand what happened. I think it's very questionable if exit nodes do redirects like this. Is it even possible? What have I not noticed?