[tor-talk] Tor 0.3.4.6-rc is released

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Wed Aug 8 00:09:10 UTC 2018

Hi, all!

There's a new Tor release candidate!  Because it's not a stable
release yet, you should only run it if you're ready to find bugs and
report them on trac.torproject.org.

The source code is available from the usual place on
https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html; if you build Tor
from source, why not give it a try?  And if you don't build Tor from
source, packages should be ready over the coming days, with a Tor
Browser alpha release likely by some time next month.

Here's what's new:

Changes in version 0.3.4.6-rc - 2018-08-06
  Tor 0.3.4.6-rc fixes several small compilation, portability, and
  correctness issues in previous versions of Tor. This version is a
  release candidate: if no serious bugs are found, we expect that the
  stable 0.3.4 release will be (almost) the same as this release.

  o Major bugfixes (event scheduler):
    - When we enable a periodic event, schedule it in the event loop
      rather than running it immediately. Previously, we would re-run
      periodic events immediately in the middle of (for example)
      changing our options, with unpredictable effects. Fixes bug 27003;
      bugfix on 0.3.4.1-alpha.

  o Minor features (compilation):
    - When building Tor, prefer to use Python 3 over Python 2, and more
      recent (contemplated) versions over older ones. Closes
      ticket 26372.

  o Minor features (geoip):
    - Update geoip and geoip6 to the July 3 2018 Maxmind GeoLite2
      Country database. Closes ticket 26674.

  o Minor features (Rust, portability):
    - Rust cross-compilation is now supported. Closes ticket 25895.

  o Minor bugfixes (compilation):
    - Fix a compilation warning on some versions of GCC when building
      code that calls routerinfo_get_my_routerinfo() twice, assuming
      that the second call will succeed if the first one did. Fixes bug
      26269; bugfix on 0.2.8.2-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (controller):
    - Report the port correctly when a port is configured to bind to
      "auto". Fixes bug 26568; bugfix on 0.3.4.1-alpha.
    - Parse the "HSADDRESS=" parameter in HSPOST commands properly.
      Previously, it was misparsed and ignored. Fixes bug 26523; bugfix
      on 0.3.3.1-alpha. Patch by "akwizgran".

  o Minor bugfixes (correctness, flow control):
    - Upon receiving a stream-level SENDME cell, verify that our window
      has not grown too large. Fixes bug 26214; bugfix on svn
      r54 (pre-0.0.1)

  o Minor bugfixes (memory, correctness):
    - Fix a number of small memory leaks identified by coverity. Fixes
      bug 26467; bugfix on numerous Tor versions.

  o Minor bugfixes (portability):
    - Avoid a compilation error in test_bwmgt.c on Solaris 10. Fixes bug
      26994; bugfix on 0.3.4.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (testing, compatibility):
    - When running the ntor_ref.py and hs_ntor_ref.py tests, make sure
      only to pass strings (rather than "bytes" objects) to the Python
      subprocess module. Python 3 on Windows seems to require this.
      Fixes bug 26535; bugfix on 0.2.5.5-alpha (for ntor_ref.py) and
      0.3.1.1-alpha (for hs_ntor_ref.py).