[tor-talk] How do the OBFS4 "built-in" Bridges work?

Nathaniel Suchy (Lunorian) me at lunorian.is
Sun Apr 29 18:06:49 UTC 2018

I see that Tor Browser, for users who are censored in their country,
work, or school (or have some other reason to use bridges) has a variety
of built in bridges. Once of those are the OBFS4 bridges. My first
thought would be these are hard coded, of course giving everyone the
same set of bridges is bad right? Then a bad actor could download Tor
Browser, get the list, and null route the IPs on their network(s). Also
these bridges could get quite crowded. Are the bridges being used to
fetch other bridges, or something else? How does Tor Browser handle
these risks / technical issues?

Cheers,
Nathaniel Suchy