[tor-talk] Help-not downloading

Charles T. Bell cbell44 at cfl.rr.com
Fri Sep 29 04:04:48 UTC 2017

On 09/28/2017 04:25 PM, Kailee Thadeus wrote:
> When I try to open tor from my downloads, it says
> “Tor unexpectedly exited. This might be due to a bug in Tor itself, another program on your system, or a faulty hardware. Until you restart Tor, the Tor browser will not be able to reach any websites. If the problem persists, please send a copy of your Tor log to the support team.”
>
> I have deleted and re downloaded Tor like 10 times now and it still pops up with this message. Is there any way I can fix this so I can finally use Tor.

I also have had trouble starting TOR Browser. I did the following in a
terminal:
 ps -A|egrep tor
  232 ?        00:00:05 usb-storage
  499 ?        00:00:55 usb-storage
 1980 ?        00:00:00 usb-storage
 2872 ?        00:22:22 ktorrent
 3066 ?        00:00:00 indicator-bluet
 3069 ?        00:00:23 indicator-power
 3072 ?	       00:00:88 tor

This is useful iff you are using a linux OS.
(For non programmers iff stands for "if and only if".)
What has happened is TOR did not close properly in Kubuntu 14.04
Then I did the following:
kill -9 3072

At that point it killed off TOR that remained running.  After that I was
able to restart TOR Browser normally.  This happens consistently about
1/3rd of the time.
It may not help you, but I am sending this in the off chance it will help.
Good luck!

Tom Bell
--
"There are lies, damned lies and alternative facts!"
-- me  (with apologies to Mark Twain)