[tor-talk] Tor Research presentation at the CCC

COLLIER Ben s1263350 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Mon Sep 25 16:52:35 UTC 2017

Hello all,

I hope that this finds all of you well - as some of you may know, I'm a researcher at the University of Edinburgh and I've been conducting some sociological research with members of the Tor community over the last nine months or so. This has been going well - everyone I've spoken to has been extremely generous with their time and I really appreciate all the contributions I've had. I've conducted around 20 anonymous interviews so far with relay operators, developers and other members of the community and the Tor Project.

In the interests of feeding back some of my findings I had thought that I might submit a "work-in-progress" talk to this year's CCC on the research I've carried out so far. I thought that this might be a good opportunity to give something back to the community, to open some of my findings and research up to scrutiny and to invite discussion (while obviously strictly preserving the anonymity of respondents). I would of course make it clear that this research isn't affiliated with or carried out by the Tor Project.

The CCC is obviously a very meaningful event for the Tor Project and the Tor community more broadly and I wanted to signal my intentions here on the Tor-talk mailing list to get a sense of whether this would pose any difficulties for the community, make anyone uncomfortable, or just generally be felt to be inappropriate. If anyone has any objections or concerns about me submitting a talk about my research to one of the CCC streams for this year then I'd be very grateful if you could let me know before the call for papers ends on the 15th October and I can take it into consideration and discuss how best, or whether, to proceed.

Additionally, if anyone is interested in taking part in the research, doing an interview or generally has concerns or questions about the research then please feel free to get in touch.

Thank you again to everyone I've spoken to so far, and to the community in general for your patience with my emails!

Very best,

Ben Collier

Twitter: @JohnnyHistone
<http://www.sccjr.ac.uk/about-us/people/ben-collier/>