[tor-talk] Unusual Tor's spikes in Egypt and Turkey on 28th August

Paul Syverson paul.syverson at nrl.navy.mil
Wed Sep 20 12:19:08 UTC 2017

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 07:53:35AM -0400, krishna e bera wrote:
> On 20/09/17 06:00 AM, Alec Muffett wrote:
[snip]

> > I'd really love to see Tor, TBB and TBB-Plugin mechanisms upgraded to run
> > over single-onion, for instance.  It would make sense.
> >
> >     -a
> >

> If by single-onion you mean single-relay, the problems with that are
> discussed at this FAQ entry.  In particular, it increases the risk that
> exit relays will be seized and their operators investigated on the
> chance that the Tor user can be traced.
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#ChoosePathLength

I'm pretty sure he means putting it on a single-onion service, so no
exit relays at all and actually more security than accessing the
server via a circuit that exits Tor protection. Cf.
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/proposals/260-rend-single-onion.txt
or for a recent high-level overview of previous and potential
developments in onion services
https://www.nrl.navy.mil/itd/chacs/syverson-once-and-future-onion

aloha,
Paul