[tor-talk] can't connect data bases and scientific journals

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Fri Sep 15 20:08:45 UTC 2017

On 09/15/2017 07:36 AM, Franps wrote:
> Dears, I am Fran.
> I am a new member of this list. I would like to ask you an important question for me:
> Using TAILS OS (which forces all Internet connections through Tor Network), I need to get access to data bases related to academic and scientific journals, but connections through Tor Network are refused by those servers, so I must use other OS or other web browser, but I would prefer don't do it.
> Is it possible to manage Tor browser settings in order to get into those data bases using Tails?
> Sorry for the annoyances and thank you very much for your attention.
> Kind regards,
> Fran

You could route a VPN through Tor. If those resources accept the VPN
exit IPs, it should work. AirVPN has instructions for routing their
client Eddie through Tor.[0] But with Tails, you'd need to install and
configure Eddie at each boot. You can also do it in Whonix, and the
setup will persist. But for both, you'd need to tweak Tor browser so it
doesn't connect directly via Tor, but through AirVPN which is routed
through Tor.

0) https://airvpn.org/topic/15253-using-airvpn-with-tor/