[tor-talk] Document Leak: German Agency BND cooperates with NSA and GCHQ to attack Tor

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Fri Sep 15 15:54:50 UTC 2017

Jonathan Marquardt <mail at parckwart.de> wrote:

> https://netzpolitik.org/2017/geheime-dokumente-der-bnd-hat-das-anonymisierungs-netzwerk-tor-angegriffen-und-warnt-vor-dessen-nutzung/
> (German link)
>
> Netzpolitik.org (a german news blog focused on politics surrounding the
> digital world) today released a leak of internal emails and documents of the
> Bundesnachrichtendienst (BND, german intelligence service). The BND has it's
> own working group deticated to deanonymizing Tor users since 2008 and
> cooperates with the NSA and the GCHQ. All three agencies run their own exit
> nodes.

Could you please quote the part of the article or source documents that
lead you to the conclusion that "[a]ll three agencies run their own
exit nodes"?

The article claims that the BND considers the fact that several exit
relays are located around Washington DC a hint that they are run by
unnamed agencies.

There's also a source document that claims that the BND heard from
other (unnamed) agencies that they installed Tor nodes and used
"protocol data" of those nodes in "investigations".

Unless I missed it, however, there's no claim that the BND itself
is running public Tor relays, did this in the past or intends to
do it in the future.

Relevant German excerpt from the article itself:
| Einen deutlichen Hinweis, dass Geheimdienste Tor-Server
| betreiben, sieht der BND in den Standorten diverser Server, vor
| allem „im Umkreis von Washington, D.C.“. Der BND geht davon aus,
| „dass diverse Behörden diese Knoten zur Verfügung gestellt
| haben“. Aus dem Dokument geht nicht direkt hervor, ob der
| Geheimdienst das nur vermutet, im Internet gelesen hat,
| mitgeteilt bekam – oder ob der BND die NSA überhaupt erst auf die
| Idee gebracht hat.

Relevant German excerpt from the source document "ME TWD-1623/10"
| Einige Dienste haben über das Installieren eigener TOR-Knoten und
| die Verwertung der Protokolldaten für verschiedene Projekte und
| Ermittlungsverfahren bereits berichtet.
|
| Ein deutlicher Hinweis für die Überwachungsmaßnahmen sind die
| Standorte diverser TOR-Exitknoten. Eine große Anzahl konnte im
| Umkreis von Washington, D.C. lokalisiert werden. Hier kann davon
| ausgegangen werden, dass diverse Behörden diese Knoten zur
| Verfügung gestellt haben.
https://netzpolitik.org/2017/geheime-dokumente-der-bnd-hat-das-anonymisierungs-netzwerk-tor-angegriffen-und-warnt-vor-dessen-nutzung/#2010-09-02_BND-Meldung-TOR-Anonymitaet

Fabian