[tor-talk] Need a stable .onion address hosted by the Tor project.

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 13:35:21 UTC 2017

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 02:36:25PM +0200, Rob van der Hoeven wrote:
> Some extra info...
>
> > I use expyuzz4wqqyqhjn.onion (www.torproject.org) as test .onion
> > address but this address does not seem very stable to me. Getting a
> > response will frequently take several minutes. Is there an .onion
> > address available with better (and more stable) response times?
>
> I have also tested with: facebookcorewwwi.onion which gave snappy
> response times. Fast (less than 10 seconds) test responses are
> important because the connection test is optional. Although the
> connection test is performed by default, users are free to skip the
> test.

Something to keep in mind is Facebook intentionally makes their onion
service faster than normal. They are not concerned with location-privacy
so they disable most protections. If you need a stable and fast onion
service for testing, Facebook's may be the best choice (for the near
future, at least).

I'm curious, do you know what is failing? Are the connection requests
timing out? If you attach a controller to the tor client and watch for
circuit events, do you see the connection failing at the same point
frequently?

(I haven't run any tests, if I have some time I will)