[tor-talk] Need a stable .onion address hosted by the Tor project.

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Wed Oct 25 11:47:20 UTC 2017

x9p <tor at x9p.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I believe you should not trust just 1 .onion address, there are latency
> problems, AS problems, circuit congestion, I believe much more.
>
> You should compile a list of different public .onion addresses hosted in
> different AS/countries and try them in a round robin way.

Hm. That's not really true. An onion service should work regardless of
where it's hosted and that's the whole point (to provide
location-anonymity). If you had to use a different onion address based
on where it's hosted, then better stick to good ol' regular TCP/IP
load-balancing.

"Latency problems, AS problems and circuit congestion" should not be
influenced too much by where the onion service is hosted. After all, you
have a 6 hop circuit to the onion service regardless of where it's
hosted, and that big circuit is probably the source of any issues.