[tor-talk] Why Tor can't load on my Linux?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Oct 10 18:15:44 UTC 2017

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 01:38:23PM -0400, grarpamp wrote:
> Seems like either unset/remove "DisableNetwork" in your torrc,

It is definitely not this.

Tor Browser uses DisableNetwork when it first starts to make sure that
your Tor doesn't try to interact with the network before you've selected
'connect directly' or 'I want to use bridges'. Otherwise your Tor goes out
and does "hello I am a Tor user!" behavior on the network when it starts,
and maybe you wanted to use a bridge to be more subtle on the network.

> or remove all tor and tor browser from your system
> and reinstall their current version, and if possible, temporarily skip
> using obfs4 to test without it, unless you need it.

It is true: "my obfs4 bridges don't work" either means that you need
fresh obfs4 bridges, or something else is firewalling you or otherwise
wrong with your network connection.

--Roger