[tor-talk] noise traffic generator?

Jacki M jackiam2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 6 23:05:30 UTC 2017

Major features (traffic analysis resistance):
Connections between clients and relays now send a padding cell in each direction every 1.5 to 9.5 seconds (tunable via consensus parameters). This padding will not resist specialized eavesdroppers, but it should be enough to make many ISPs' routine network flow logging less useful in traffic analysis against Tor users.

Padding is negotiated using Tor's link protocol, so both relays and clients must upgrade for this to take effect. Clients may still send padding despite the relay's version by setting ConnectionPadding 1 in torrc, and may disable padding by setting ConnectionPadding 0 in torrc. Padding may be minimized for mobile users with the torrc option ReducedConnectionPadding. Implements Proposal 251 and Section 2 of Proposal 254; closes ticket 16861 <https://bugs.torproject.org/16861>.
Relays will publish 24 hour totals of padding and non-padding cell counts to their extra-info descriptors, unless PaddingStatistics 0 is set in torrc. These 24 hour totals are also rounded to multiples of 10000.
Copied for tor-0317-now-released <https://blog.torproject.org/tor-0317-now-released>