[tor-talk] Using Tor Browser with non-Tor proxies?

Ivan Vilata-i-Balaguer ivan at equalit.ie
Mon Nov 27 18:09:12 UTC 2017

Hi Georg, thanks for your reply!  More inline.

Georg Koppen (2017-11-24 07:12:00 +0000) wrote:

> Ivan Vilata-i-Balaguer:
> >
> > […] Since the main entry point to the system will usually be a web proxy, we
> > were wondering whether it would make sense to use the Tor Browser and
> > leverage all the great efforts already put into it to take care of such
> > anonymization of requests, instead of reinventing the wheel ourselves.
>
> Could you elaborate on what you mean with "anonymization of requests"?

Sure, I was referring to the many techniques mentioned here:
<https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser/design/>

I ran some tests and checked that the HTTP requests themselves for
simple public pages don't look that different from those of a normal
browser in terms of headers…  But the rest of techniques employed may be
valuable as well.

> > Do you think it makes sense to use the Tor Browser with a different
> > proxy than Tor?  Is there some technical hurdle (i.e. some source code
> > modification) that would prevent it from working?
>
> Yes, you would need to patch Tor Browser to adapt it to your needs.
> There have been a lot of requests in the past for being able to use Tor
> Browser and its defenses without Tor. There are folks that stepped up
> and made this happen. Look at all the jondobrowser- repos at
> https://github.com/jondos.

Umm, I wasn't aware of that particular aspect of that project.  It may
be very useful for our purpose and we'll definitely have a deeper look
at it.

Thanks a lot for the info!

--
Ivan Vilata i Balaguer